The Sterling Journal-Advocate, a subsidiary of MediaNews Group, is seeking a Multimedia Sports Reporter to join the team! MediaNews Group offers news reporting and third party advertising and marketing opportunities through its multi-platform products which include: web, mobile, tablet, and print. We are one of the largest media groups in the U.S., serving high-value audiences and connecting advertisers to them. MNG publishes award-winning content (49 Pulitzers) that amasses and engages a nationwide audience via 800 multi-media platforms including web, mobile, social, and print. We are transforming the news industry.
The Sterling Journal-Advocate is looking for a full-time, aggressive, enterprising and inquisitive multi media sports reporter who will be able to multitask in community sports coverage, and write multiple daily stories and briefs. This reporter will cover community, high school and some college sporting events, as well as other general assignments as directed by the assistant editor and editor.
We want someone who can report thoroughly and write quickly and clearly in high-pressure, deadline situations, as well as handle longer-term planning, development and execution of in-depth features.
Furthermore, we are looking for someone with a full range of digital skills, with the ability to use social media and to shoot photos and video, and be willing and ready to learn and master the latest technologies to assist in news-gathering and storytelling.
• Degree in journalism, communication or equivalent experience.
• The preferred candidate has experience at a daily newspaper or online news outlet.
• Relevant experience in sports reporting and writing, shooting video, using social media, creating enterprising content.
• Proven understanding of sports terminology and sports being covered. A fondness for sharing stories of sporting events and writing beyond the box score.
• Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
• Strong reporting, writing, organizational and story structure skills.
• Understands imperatives of emerging and existing platforms, including web, mobile and print.
• Beats production deadlines.
• Contributes to a positive culture of teamwork and collaboration.
• Experiments with new digital tools and platforms.
• Must be flexible to work evenings, weekends and/or holidays, as well as odd hours if necessary/news requires.
• Must live in area/county or be willing to relocate (no relocation assistance offered).
• Must submit 2-3 writing samples with resume and application.