The Times-Standard, a newsroom in Eureka covering the ins and outs of beautiful Humboldt County, is seeking a full-time intrepid reporter to feed our audience's voracious appetitie for true stories of life behind the redwood curtain. Amid the forested reaches of the uniquely laid-back North Coast, you'll be reporting on some of the strangest news you'll ever write about. Benefits available the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
● Develop news sources and look for and create news story ideas in coordination with
● Research, observe surroundings and conduct interviews over the telephone and in
person to gather pertinent information for news stories.
● Interact with colleagues and the public in a professional manner.
● Organize information and write an accurate, clear, interesting and grammatically
correct story while meeting deadlines. Produce stories of varying complexity and
● Seek out and report news for immediate publication on The Times-Standard digital platforms
or for print publications.
● Discuss story formulation with editors and edit or rewrite stories, as necessary.
Develop sources and check with them on a regular basis to break exclusive news.
Use digital tools and social media to report and promote Times-Standard material.
● Understand and implement SEO techniques to ensure content reaches largest online
audience. Stay abreast of latest trends.
● Create and curate content for a dynamic web presence.
● Request appropriate photos, video and graphics for stories; work closely with visual
journalists to provide clear explanations of assignments. Shoot photos and videos
when necessary and transmit them promptly for digital publication.
Physical Working Conditions:
● Stand 25%, walk 25% , sit 25%, drive 25 % of shift
● Enter stories on various systems, including laptop and desktop computers and
handheld devices approximately 50% of shift
● Travel to and meet with individuals on the scene
● Take notes while interviewing news sources (both over the telephone and in person)
● Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent experience.
● Basic photo and video skills.
● Basic understanding of standard curation techniques
● Demonstrated proficiency with social media tools
● Strong reporting and writing skills
● Ability to multi-task and work quickly to meet deadlines
● Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle to travel to report events
● Prior newspaper experience preferred